[Tweeters] Edmonds marsh northern harrier 9-27-13

Bill Anderson billandersonbic at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 28 02:28:48 PDT 2013

Although the Edmonds marsh seems like a good habitat for northern
harriers and short-eared owls, I have only seen a short-eared owl once
at the marsh. I see northern harriers a little more often, about once a year. I suspect the local crows play a large part in discouraging the
owls and harriers from taking up permanent or seasonal residency.

Friday (9/27) afternoon a female northern harrier flew into the marsh from
the north and spent about 40 minutes hunting the marsh. She rested for about five minutes and then continued her journey south around Pt.
Edwards.

You can see my photos of the harrier as well as a kingfisher which arrived after the harrier's departure at the top of page 40:
http://www.pnwphotos.com/forum/showthread.php?7934-Wildlife-of-Edmonds-WA/page40

Bill Anderson; Edmonds, WA. USA