[Tweeters] Nisqually NWR 9/25/13

scrubjay323 at aol.com scrubjay323 at aol.com
Thu Sep 26 17:50:57 PDT 2013

Tweets,

Another perspective on the Nisqually survey yesterday. I did the "usual " walk and we had about 34 people on the refuge doing the survey. It was raining when we started but cleared soon after and we had a relatively dry walk.

My impressions were waterfowl are in early in good numbers and geese numbers were exceptionally high, particularly SNOW and GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE. I commented that I saw more of each yesterday than I've seen in the last 20 years total. There were at least 60 GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE across the access road to the twin barns at the start and more kept flying in. I counted over 200 on the refuge at one time. We had several flights of SNOW GEESE that were over 100 each with one flock holdin at least 150 SNOW GEESE. They must have mistaken Nisqually for the Skagit Flats.

Out in the reclamation area we had a nice flock of 20+ LONG-BILLED DOWITCHERS and a had dozen or so MARBLED GODWITS, the first I've seen on the refuge. We also saw good numbers of LEAST and WESTERN SANDPIPERS, as well as SEMI-PALMATED PLOVER and BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER. On the south dike they had BAIRD'S SANDPIPER, which we missed.

We did see multiply PEREGRINE FALCON, BALD EAGLES and NORTHER HARRIERS. It was good to see the raptors back in force. Again on the south dike trail thEy had a MERLIN that we missed.

For the day I had 54 species and now have 135 for the year. Mammals seen were BLACK-TAILED DEER, COTTONTIAL RABBITT, and HARBOR SEAL.

Until next week....

Phil Kelley
scrubjay323 at aol.com
Lacey, WA