[Tweeters] Hoquiam STP and Ocean Shores, Sept. 26.

Bruce Labar blabar at harbornet.com
Thu Sep 26 17:10:46 PDT 2013

Starting at the Hoquiam STP around 7:30 am, the second species I spotted was the Red-shouldered Hawk that Blair and Steve posted from yesterday. As I turned on to Paulson Rd., I heard several White-crowned Sparrows acting agitated. Stopping near that intersection, I spotted the RSHA flying into a tree on east side of the road before the Osprey nest. I got out and carefully walked toward that area and again it flushed giving me good looks at the body and tail. I could not relocate as it went deeper into the wooded area. Fog was covering the ponds and decided to head to Ocean Shores.
Spending 3 hours walking the game range at a high tide, with foggy conditions which was actually very productive. No one else was seen for over 2 hours. I parked at that area across from the water tower off Marine View Dr. I then walked the tide line towards the game range and continued to work the whole area during this time. Birds of note: 2 Pacific Golden Plovers with 1 American Golden Plover with them for nice comparisons. 3 White-fronted Geese on the beach. 3 Whimbrels, 17 American Pipits (no longspurs), 1 male Blue-winged Teal on the pond with many Green-wings and Pintails. 20 Semi-palmated Plovers, 1 Black-bellied Plover and of course Killdeer made for a good plover day.
As the weather cleared I spent just a little time at the Jetty. 2 Wandering Tattlers, several Black Turnstones and one Sooty Shearwater were my highlights.
On my way home a quick stop at the Hoquiam STP, I found 2 Pectoral Sandpipers and 6 Long-billed Dowitchers at the ponds and no luck relocating the RSHA.
Bruce LaBar
Tacoma, WA
blabar at harbornet.com