[Tweeters] Birds by the hundreds

NIKKI sailorgirlinconecticut at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 23 16:21:07 PDT 2013

I am not sure how to post this but it comes with question too.  I have been bird watching almost all day and 70% of it at my house.  I am sitting watching HUGE flocks (I think that's what I can call them) of ducks, geese and maybe swans fly over head.  I am in Kelso, and I am seeing 3-5 sets at a time of 60+ birds every hour or so.  I recognize some of the calls I am hearing as  white fronted geese.  Some calls I don't know some birds I am not hearing them but seeing that V formation.  I am amazed.  Living in N. Cal for the past few years I just saw the end of migration and then the refuges empty as they all left again.  So this is my question- based on my location in Kelso- what species am I most likely seeing? (other then the 1 I have listed)   Do they stop here for the winter or are we a "pit stop" for them and the refuge (Ridgefield) has ups and downs throughout the winter? When does the peak migration happen?  Like I said I am used to
about November or so making my trips to the Sacramento Wildlife refuge and going until February or so.  I did go to Ridgefield today.  White Fronted geese were there, savannah sparrow, American gold finch, lesser yellow legs are some of the highlights.
Nikki
Kelso