[Tweeters] Say's Phoebe in Vaughn, WA on September 21st.

Shawn Weigelt northern.gos13 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 11:11:10 PDT 2013

Hello tweets!

I don't often post here but follow the list quite regularly to see who's
seeing what and where. I guess you could call me more of a, "lurker," I
guess.

I have only been living in Washington since 2009 and am from Maine
originally. Therefore, I am, admittedly, not as familiar with Western
species, but am confident that I saw a Say's Phoebe in my backyard Saturday
morning (09-21-13). I was also able to get a soft heavily cropped photo
that is at least good enough for identification purposes. I stepped out
into the backyard startling some finches at the feeder and was surprised to
see a tail wagging flycatcher among them. I am used to Eastern Phoebe's
from living on the east coast and Black Phoebe's from numerous visits to
California, but I don't recall ever seeing a Say's Phoebe. I was startled
by the rufous wash on the belly and ran inside to get my camera.
Fortunately it was still there and allowed me to get at least one useable
shot.

When I referenced my field guide I noticed that range maps do not show
Say's Phoebe being regular in Washington west of the Cascades. I was
curious if my sighting was a rare occurrence or a, "once in a while," kind
of thing. I live in the small town of Vaughn on the Key Peninsula in
western Pierce County. I have not seen the bird since.

Here's the link to the photo:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/101839772@N04/9901297953/

Regards,

Shawn Weigelt