[Tweeters] Red-breasted Sapsucker near Lincoln Park; Jaeger question

Tucker, Trileigh TRI at seattleu.edu
Sat Sep 21 11:04:08 PDT 2013

Hi Tweets,

Yesterday in the early morning, the huge cedar in my front yard was visited by a Red-breasted Sapsucker. I assume this is the same bird I see here about twice a year – in fact, on checking I see that it's been exactly six months since its last visit.

A week ago I was at Ebey's Landing on Whidbey Island, and found when I got home and examined my photos that among the large distant flock of Heerman's Gulls was a dark-brown bird new to me. Checking my ID books, it seems to have been a kind of jaeger – but which kind, Parasitic or Pomarine? Sibley indicates that Parasitics tend to hang out closer to our shores, but I seem to remember that both have been spotted by Tweeters in our inland saltwaters recently. Or is it something else? Photos of this bird and some other sightings at Ebey's Landing are at flickr.com/photos/trileigh<http://www.flickr.com/photos/trileigh/>. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Good birding to all,
Trileigh

Trileigh Tucker
Lincoln Park, West Seattle
Natural history website: naturalpresence.wordpress.com
Flickr page: flickr.com/photos/trileigh