[Tweeters] Gruesome Dark-eyed Junco

A & S Hill 60stops2home at kalama.com
Fri Sep 20 21:17:04 PDT 2013

We have a very sick Dark-eyed Junco in our backyard. I have seen it for
three days now. It's completely deaf; one eye is sealed shut. Friday
afternoon I nearly stepped on it because it didn't hear me coming. I've
never seen anything so gruesome in my life. Pictures here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/artlessfun/

Warning, they are gross.

Does anyone know what may be wrong with this bird. At first, I thought it
may have ticks, but that seems unlikely. Those protrusions on either side of
its head appear to be its ears swelling out from under the auriculars. I
doubt it will survive the night.

Any thoughts?

Amy Hill

Kalama, Washington