[Tweeters] Ruff at Nisqually NWR

Shep Thorp shepthorp at gmail.com
Wed Sep 18 18:29:02 PDT 2013

Hi Tweets,
After finishing up our Wednesday walk, I birded the Nisqually Estuary Trail or new dike on an incoming 13 foot plus tide. At 5:45pm I spotted an immature Ruff with three Pectoral Sandpipers just 150 feet north of the dike in the marsh grasses just west of Leschi Slough. After observing the bird for 5 minutes it flew with the PESA and a white U shaped rump could be seen. As it turns out Gene Revelas and two other birders in the area saw the same bird to help confirm the sighting. When last seen it was flying north, hopefully it sticks around!
Good birding,
Shep Thorp
Browns Point
sthorp at theaec.com