[Tweeters] Their Fate is Our Fate: How Birds Foretell Threats to Our Health and Our World

Kathleen Barker kbarker715 at comcast.net
Wed Sep 18 14:15:44 PDT 2013

Birdwatcher speaking on Friday, September 20, in Seattle.
Peter Doherty
Their Fate is Our Fate and Pandemics (THE EXPERIMENT AND OXFORD UNIVERSITY PRESS)
Town Hall Seattle
Reading & Book Signing

Nobel Laureate Peter Doherty touches on two scientific topics crucial to our health—and our planets`—with a talk that ranges from puffins to pandemics. On one hand, the author of Their Fate is Our Fate and Pandemics shows how and why birds are vital to cutting-edge scientific research: They help us interpret changes in the world as they continually sample the atmosphere, oceans, forests, and insect populations, signaling dangers that threaten all vertebrates. So, by studying birds, Doherty says, we can further understand the nature of human diseases and develop new vaccines and cures. And on the other hand, Doherty, who won the Nobel Prize for his work on how the immune system recognizes virus-infected cells, offers a What Everyone Needs to Know guide to pandemics—what they are, how they spread, and what we can do to prevent them.
Presented by Town Hall and University Book Store as part of The Seattle Science Lectures, sponsored by Microsoft. Series media sponsorship provided by KPLU.

Kathy Barker
Seattle