[Tweeters] Fw: [inland-NW-birders] American Golden Plover

Mike & MerryLynn m.denny at charter.net
Sun Sep 15 13:34:19 PDT 2013

----- Original Message -----
From: Mike & MerryLynn
To: inland-nw-birders at uidaho.edu
Sent: Sunday, September 15, 2013 1:25 PM
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] American Golden Plover

Hello all,
We sat on the bluff at the WWRdelta for a couple hours this am with a visit from Tom Mansfield, then met up with Tom again at the Dodd road blood pond where we had been counting shorebirds for 30 min. and were ready to leave when MerryLynn spotted an AMERICAN GOLDEN PLOVER in the second pond. After searching awhile we found THREE of these very unexpected shorebirds - hearing them when they flew clinched the ID - but the small head/bill were distinctive.
Also at the blood pond:
BLACK MERLIN - rare form of the merlin in eastern WA
Semipalmated Plover - 3
PECTORAL SANDPIPER - 47!
Bairds Sandpiper - 18
Killdeer - 72
Western Sandpipers - 22
Lesser Yellowlegs - 4

At the WWRDelta where the waterfowl have flooded in during the last week:
Lesser Yellowlegs - 3
Long-billed Dowitcher - 10
AMERICAN AVOCET - 4
MARBLED GODWIT - 1
Least Sandpiper - 2
Great Egret - 3
Greater White-fronted Geese - 44 flyovers
Common Loon - 2
Ruddy Ducks - 245
Wood Ducks - 72
Common Goldeneye - 2
Redhead - 4
Ring-necked Duck-5
Northern Pintail - 250+
Green-winged Teal - many with one partial albino.
Herring Gull - 5
Glaucous-winged Gull - 1
many wigeon, mallard, coot
NO TERNS

Later, M&ML
Mike & MerryLynn Denny
Birding the beautiful Walla Walla Valley

"If you haven't birded, you haven't lived"