[Tweeters] Nisqually NWR, Sept 11, 2013

hannaslagle at comcast.net hannaslagle at comcast.net
Thu Sep 12 17:12:43 PDT 2013

Hi Tweeters,

Thirty-six of us enjoyed a beautiful late summer day at Nisqually, with lots of bird activity.  High tide was 11' 9" at 10:58 am.  Mixed flocks continue as they have over the past several weeks.  The fall migration of waterfowl is well  underway.  The eBird  report that Russ Smith posted for the walk is below my narrative.

Highlights of the sightings for the day:

A small mixed flock was seen from the overlook at the visitor center as we were gathering for the walk.  Species included Common Yellowthroat, Willow Flycatcher, Yellow Warbler, Song Sparrow.  We also had several Savannah Sparrow and Cedar Waxwings  in the taller trees just west of the overlook and a  Pied-billed Grebe in the pond.

The pond south of the parking lot had Canada Geese and two Cinnamon Teal .  Southwest of the pond in the tall cottonwoods we had a Red-tailed Hawk.  The real treat was a male American Kestrel in the same tree and in the sunlight.  Everyone got great looks, and the bird was absolutely stunning in the sunlight.

We came into another mixed flock as we started down the boardwalk.  Species included Black-throated Gray Warbler, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Black-capped Chickadee, Brown Creeper, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Bewick's Wren, Yellow Warbler, Orange-crowned Warbler and Red-breasted Nuthatch.

As we made the turn to the twin barns we came across another mixed flock.  Species included Yellow Warbler, Orange-crowned Warbler, Warbling Vireo, Willow Flycatcher.  We also got looks at a Red-breasted Sapsucker and two Pileated Woodpeckers that were in a tall cottonwood towards the river.  Both a Rufous and Anna's Hummingbird were also seen in the same area as the mixed flock.  We had a Cooper's Hawk and  Lincoln's Sparrow off the twin barns overlook.

As we walked the dike trail to the boardwalk we saw Killdeer, Common Raven, American Pipit, Osprey, and Common Merganser.  A mixed flock of shorebirds included Western, Pectoral and Baird's Sandpipers was on the north (saltwater) side of the dike.   We also saw the Great Egret fly from McAllister Creek into the center of the refuge.  The area along the inside of the dike approaching the boardwalk was again productive for Virginia Rail and Wilson's Snipe.

Additional s pecies seen by the group of folks that walked the entire boardwalk included Greater White-fronted Goose, American Wigeon, Common Merganser, Double-crested Cormorant, Least Sandpiper  and Great Blue Heron.

Total Species for the day:  70

Mammals:  Squirrel and Deer

Until next week when Shep will return to lead the walk.

Good birding,

Eric Slagle

Olympia