[Tweeters] Marymoor Park (Redmond, King Co., WA) 2013-09-12

Michael Hobbs birdmarymoor at frontier.com
Thu Sep 12 13:47:04 PDT 2013

Tweets – pre-dawn was gorgeous, with Jupiter showing it’s moons near Orion. There was thick ground fog over the meadows, which thinned around 6:00 a.m., just long enough for us to spend about a minute watching a BARN OWL. But as the sun rose, the fog lifted to become a thin, grey blanket over our heads. Our impression was that the birds slept through their alarms this morning, for things were very quiet until mid-morning, when the sun finally burned through the fog. It wasn’t until our loop around the mansion, and our visit to the Rowing Club that there were many birds to see. But, still, it was a good day.

Highlights:

Canada Goose Numbers are suddenly up to 200-250
Common Merganser 2-3
Green Heron Juvenile at Rowing Club pond
Cooper’s Hawk Several sightings, maybe all the same juvie
Wilson’s Snipe Heard and glimpsed pre-dawn
Band-tailed Pigeon Flock of 8 flew overhead
Barn Owl Around 6:00 a.m., at model airplane field
R.-br. Sapsucker 1, south end of East Meadow
Merlin 1 speeding south east of East Meadow
Warbling Vireo 1 near windmill
Marsh Wren Suddenly several, singing, after 3 week absence
American Pipit Two flew off from fields north of Viewing Mound
Townsend’s Warbler One at Rowing Club, with our only Yellow
Brewer’s Blackbird Very uncommon at Marymoor – 1 female at Velodrome

For the day, we had 57 species

== Michael Hobbs
== www.marymoor.org/birding.htm
== BirdMarymoor at frontier.com