[Tweeters] RE: Petersburg AK - no eagles

Reto Riesen riesenr at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 11 14:13:30 PDT 2013

Living in Prince Rupert BC, just south of the AK border, the exactly same point came up in conversation with birdwatchers from England - where are the eagles? Only, my hypothesis was different - I assumed that they have all gone to somewhere where there is lots of easy scavenging to be had.

The base of my assumption - Bald Eagles around here are very opportunistic and can either clear out completely from town, for example during herring spawn or eulachon runs, or crowd into town when fishing is ongoing and the canneries are in operation. That doesn't mean that their movements may not be earlier or later than in previous years, but I would count on them coming back as soon as the other food source is gone.

Reto Riesen
Prince Rupert BC