[Tweeters] Is it a Grebe Eat Fish Eat Fish World?

John Riegsecker jriegsecker at pobox.com
Wed Sep 11 08:02:09 PDT 2013

All,

Waughop Lake in Fort Steilacoom has a large population of Pied-billed
Grebe, which currently includes many young. I was there Monday hoping
to get some photographs of the Grebe feeding their young. They were
very cooperative and stayed fairly close to shore. At least two adults
were feeding at least five young. Whenever an adult would surface with
a fish, the grebelets would make a mad dash to try and get it and then
race off before another young one could steal it. Unfortunately the fog
did not lift until 1:00, but I kept shooting anyhow, figuring I could
always throw the shots away if the sun finally came out, which it
eventually did.

Tuesday evening I was going through the 497 shots I took, discarding bad
ones, when something seemed odd about the fish one of the grebelets had
in its beak. Upon closer inspection, it seems to me that the fish has
a smaller one in its mouth. As if it had been in the process of
swallowing the smaller fish when the adult grebe caught it. The fourth
photo was taken 30 seconds after the third one and it looks like the
little fish got away. The fifth shot was taken 8 seconds after that.
Shots are heavily cropped and conditions were foggy, but here they are.
Best viewed in slideshow mode.

http://skygardener.zenfolio.com/p332183081

John Riegsecker
Gig Harbor, WA