[Tweeters] Updated cumulative county year list file available online

Matt Bartels mattxyz at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 11 05:33:33 PDT 2013

Hi Tweeters & Inland-NW-Birders -

An updated version of the 2013 county year list project is up at Washington Birder. We've received updates from almost all the counties with details through the end of August. County compilers, especially for the under-birded counties, would appreciate receiving reports of any birds seen in their counties.

Overall, the last few weeks of rarities coming through has definitely helped bring the year totals up closer to last year's -- but we still are running a little behind last year's pace overall. Mostly, though our totals this year are very similar to last year's :

This year after 2/3 of the year done, we've tallied 382 species [vs 385 last year]; Eastern WA has tallied 316 species up from last year's 311, and Western WA has tallied 343 species [down from 349 last year at this time]

All 39 counties have tallied 150 or more species so far, and 28 are over 200 for the year -

22 counties are running higher totals than they were last year. 12 counties remain within 5 species of their total from last year at this point. 23 species were reported by this point last year that have not yet appeared on this year's list. On the other side of the tally, 20 species have been reported this year and not last year.

If you'd like to take a look at where things stand, the list and many other interesting files are at the Washington Birder website:

http://www.wabirder.com/

A direct link to the 2013 county yearlist & the list of county compilers, including a growing number of direct links to individual county year lists with more details and more frequent updates:

http://www.wabirder.com/county_yearlist.html

Thanks to all the compilers and all those pitching in to sketch a picture of another year's birds in WA.

Matt Bartels
Seattle, WA