[Tweeters] Oceanshores Sept 9

Dan van den Broek danpvdb at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 10 09:02:47 PDT 2013

HI Tweeters

Spent the day birding with Steve and Sybil Kohl and Doug Reburg.

Highlights on September 9th were an American Golden Plover at the Game Range at around noon.  It flew in for about 30 minutes.  At around 2 pm we saw two Common Terns at Bill's Spit, 1 adult and 1 juv, there were 2 Mew Gulls there also.  We returned to the Game Range where we saw thousands of shorebirds, mostly Western Sandpipers.  Among the Westerns and Leasts were good numbers of Pectoral Sandpipers (50+), 1 Red-necked Phalarope, 2 Whimbrel.  A Golden-Plover flew in briefly but took off before we got good looks.  As we left another juv. Common Tern flew over us.

Great day!

Dan van den Broek