[Tweeters] Caspian Terns (night flight) - yard bird Eastgate-Bellevue

Pterodroma at aol.com Pterodroma at aol.com
Mon Sep 9 16:32:39 PDT 2013

In my yard/neighborhood, terns, any terns aren't among the birds I
normally expect around here. However, last night (Su 9/8), 2130hrs to be exact,
I'd just stepped out on the back patio, sat down in my chair in the dark,
and right away heard sounds I'm not accustomed to hearing around here, the
distinctive raspy calls of Caspian Terns! They were pretty low, in the dark
of night sounded like not too high above the tree tops, and moving from
north to south. Best I could tell, at least two adults and one immature, the
latter uttering it's insistent soft little piping/begging notes.

Amazingly, Caspian Tern is not even unprecedented at this location. In
fact, this was my third instance of Caspian Tern over my yard of the past 20
years, all hills and trees and homes, and half way between Lakes Washington
& Sammamish. Previous yard records here were 7 birds skimming over the
tree tops on 10Jun1997, and one high flyer 26Jun2011.

P.S. The Lake Hills Greenbelt Greater White-fronted Goose of late was
again present, day 3 in a row now, exact same time and exact same spot, in the
center to center east side of the small NE corner farm field at 156th Ave
SE and SE 16th St, at 0745 & 0915hrs. Also, and new this morning (FOF), one
Lincoln's Sparrow north side Larsen Lake, my first LISP in there at all
since way way back last October (10/23).

Richard Rowlett
Bellevue (Eastgate), WA