[Tweeters] Walla Walla River delta

Mike & MerryLynn m.denny at charter.net
Sat Sep 7 18:57:06 PDT 2013

Good Evening All,

MerryLynn and I sat out on the bluff over looking the Walla Walla River delta this morning for two hours.Saw some unexpected species after the massive storm on Thursday evening-70+ mph winds and driving rain out of the south.
Puddles and mud in places we have never seen it in 32 years of birding this area.
Birds located on the Walla Walla River delta from 9:45 am to 11:45 am. Pool level was high so there are no mud flats at this critical time in migration-apparently recreational boating is more important than shorebird feeding and loafing sites.

Birds observed

Northern Pintail-192 birds
Common Goldeneye-one female-very early arrival!
Herring Gull-eight adults
Franklin's Gull-1 sub-adult
MEW GULL-1 adult, this is our early record-never seen one at this site this early.
Great Egret-4 birds
Black necked Stilts-23 birds
American Avocet-1 adult
Osprey-1 adult