[Tweeters] E. Grosbeaks in Winter? / Caryn / Wedgwood

Caryn Schutzler BLUEDARNER1 at SEANET.COM
Fri Sep 6 14:34:30 PDT 2013

Hello Tweeters -

Looking at my old Peterson guide I notice I have marked sighting of EG's in my garden in March (3/3/87) and Jan (1/27/93). Curious if anyone else has ever seen them in winter and where? But now that its approaching fall, wondering about their movement patterns. I see they are common but irregular. As I mentioned to a few others, our first sighting of them was on a window feeder (a small one at that) with at least 3-5 of them chowing down! What a sight that was to walk into the room and see a mini-flock of them on the window! I know they also enjoy the samaras on the vine maples - so I hope they come and have a feast.

It's great being able to Tweet when having a cold - can still feel like I'm birding - vicariously at least!

Caryn / Wedgwood (still just hearing them)