[Tweeters] Hudsonian Godwit at Three Crabs

Chazz Hesselein chazz at hesselein.com
Wed Sep 4 20:58:12 PDT 2013

Last night I saw a posting in Birder's Dashboard
(http://birdingwashington.info/dashboard/) that Denny Van Horn had found
a Hudsonian Godwit (HUGO) Monday at the former Three Crabs in Sequim.
HUGO has been a nemesis bird for me for about 10 years so, due to the
freedom provided by my present employment status, i.e., unemployed, I
thought I would give it a try. Soon after arriving at the Three Crabs I
spotted three Marbled Godwits and a smaller dull gray Godwit that I
assumed to be the HUGO. Since it was so far off, I decided to call the
phone number posted for access to the area of private property north of
three crabs where the bird was. The answer was that access was not
given except to crabbers?/clammers? on exceptionally low tides. After I
hung up, I wondered if crying and begging on the phone would have helped
my cause. Fortunately, the bird raised its wings and took to flight
revealing black underwing coverts, a distinct white line bisecting the
wing basal-distally, a black tail and white rump, diagnostic for HUGO.
The bird also obliged by flying much closer allowing me to take a couple
of poor photos with my phone.

Now to figure out my next nemesis bird, not a bad problem.

Good birding all,

Chazz Hesselein
Port Orchard, WA