[Tweeters] Whitey the Goose

Gary Bletsch garybletsch at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 2 20:41:29 PDT 2013

Dear Tweeters,

This message is really for Adrienne, whose eBird sighting of a Snow Goose caught my eye today. I don't know if there's a way to contact an e-Birder directly, but maybe Adrienne might see this.

I just saw  your Snow Goose sighting as an eBird alert. One thing to watch out for in this area is a goose I call "Whitey." No, I am not joking. This goose first appeared in Skagit County in the fall of 2005. It appears to be a white domesticated Graylag variety. The bird shows up every fall with Canada Geese, popping up all over Skagit County with what I think is the same flock of Canadas. The first time I saw Whitey, I wrote down "Snow Goose" in my field notes. I saw him a few days later near the same spot where I'd seen him before, took another look, and realized he wasn't a Snow Goose after all.

I am slowly entering my sightings into eBird, chronologically. Coincidentally, I typed my sightings from October of 2005 into eBird just today, and that first sighting of "Whitey," with my description, is entered under "Graylag Goose, domestic type."

Just a suggestion, but you might want to take another look at that goose, especially if you took any photos.

Yours respectfully,

Gary Bletsch

Gary Bletsch

Near Lyman, Washington (Skagit County), USA

garybletsch at yahoo.com

"Nun," sagte ich, "wenn ich ein Taugenichts bin, so ist's gut, so will ich in die Welt gehen, und mein Glueck machen." Und eigentlich war mir das recht lieb, denn es war mir kurz vorher selber eingefallen, auf Reisen zu gehen, da ich die Goldammer, welche im Herbst und Winter immer betruebt an unserm Fenster sang: "Bauer, miet' mich, Bauer, miet' mich!" nun in der schoenen Fruehlingszeit wieder ganz stolz und lustig vom Baume rufen hoerte: "Bauer, behalt' deinen Dienst!"