[Tweeters] Lake McMurray to Marblemount yesterday

Scott Atkinson scottratkinson at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 1 09:33:57 PDT 2013

Tweeters:

Yesterday, despite a late start, I found a good mix of birds at the boat launch and
Centennial trail head at Lake McMurray, s. Skagit County. There were 5 warbler sp,
and single ANNA'S and RUFOUS (late) HUMMINGBIRDS. Singles of W. WOOD-PEWEE
and WILLOW FLYCATCHER were also still around. But near the start of the trail, the
best bird came through, a downslope GRAY JAY that flew over. STELLER'S seemedto be moving around a far amount here as well.

Later, after having run into Gary Bletsch at Corkindale, I proceeded to the Marblemount
boat launch. Highlights included a MACGILLIVRAY'S WARBLER (photographed, completing a 8-warbler day, just the regulars), and a RED-EYED VIREO.

A few of the birds seen will be posted to flickr once I get the chance.
In all, 70 species of birds found by noon, not bad given no salt water or shoreline
coverage. The interesting plant of the day was Catnip (Nepetia cataria) which was
found colonizing a clearcut area along Martin Branch Rd, just past the turnoff for
Barnaby Slough. So in all a good day, followed by watching the Huskies 38-6opening win over Boise St. at the new Husky stadium--a great finish to the finalday of the month.

Also wanted to add that I had a single HORNED LARK and PURPLE MARTIN over
the meadow area by the south entrance to Discovery Park in Seattle Friday,
August 30, near the noon hour.

Scott AtkinsonLake Stevensmail to: scottratkinson at hotmail.com