[Tweeters] Swamp Sparrow at Nisqually NWR 10/30

Shep Thorp shepthorp at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 22:57:36 PDT 2013

Hi Tweets,
after our Wednesday walk, I headed back out to the dike to catch the
incoming tide, and on my return I observed a Swamp Sparrow around 3:30pm in
the base of an elderberry bush on the north side of the slough next to the
Twin Barns that runs under the access road to the new dike. The bush was
immediately west of the access road and on the north side of the slough. I
was looking for Lincon's Sparrow which we missed for the day, and observed
a Lincoln Sparrow like bird with a blurry gray streakless breast and blurry
rufous streaks on the sides. This Swamp Sparrow had a brown crown, plain
gray streakless nape, buffy white malar, and rufous brown wings. When
flushed the call note was a ringing "pink". Hopefully it sticks around for
others to see! There was also a Barn Swallow foraging low over the fresh
water marsh.
Good birding,
Shep Thorp
Browns Point