[Tweeters] Marymoor Park (Redmond, King Co., WA) 2013-10-31

Michael Hobbs birdmarymoor at frontier.com
Thu Oct 31 21:26:07 PDT 2013

Our Halloween was a good one at Marymoor. Despite the lack of fog, we had no owls pre-dawn, but we had some pretty good birds all day long, in between gaps of nothingness. The predicted rain consisted of occasional mist, mizzle, and a few minutes of drizzle, and the temperature started at 50 and probably didn’t change. So it wasn’t a bad day at all.

Highlights:

Gr. White-fronted Goose Juvenile in with Cacklers and Canadas
SNOW GOOSE One flyover with Canadas pre-sunrise
Gadwall Pair at Rowing Club. Only 4th since May
Wilson’s Snipe Good looks below weir, and RC pond
Pileated Woodpecker On snag near start of boardwalk
Northern Shrike A couple of sightings, probably 1 bird
Cedar Waxwing About 75 at Rowing Club
-No warblers-
Savannah Sparrow At least 1 still around Compost Piles
SWAMP SPARROW Good looks as it made its way downstream
from the weir, about 8:30 a.m.
Western Meadowlark Two, East Meadow

Matt heard the call chip of the SWAMP SPARROW while the rest of us were noisily gawking at Cedar Waxwings. Amazingly, we were able to follow the chip call as the bird worked north, and we all got anywhere from a couple of glimpses to some good long looks at the very active bird. We last had a SWSP in 2011.

For the day, about 55 species.

== Michael Hobbs
== www.marymoor.org/birding.htm
== BirdMarymoor at frontier.com