[Tweeters] Re: Diversity in birding

wong chupaflor at igc.org
Mon Oct 28 13:10:36 PDT 2013

Thanks, Jeff, for raising this topic after my post recently about the Focus on Diversity conference.

As a 'birder of color,' I can't help but notice the lack of ethnic diversity in the birding community in the Pacific Northwest. It's also lacking across the country, but since I obviously live here, my interest in the topic is largely focused in this area. To that end, I am working to someday bring the Focus on Diversity conference to this part of the country. I have already contacted those in charge of the conference, and was met with great interest and excitement. I will keep the local birding community apprised of the plans.

If anyone out there in Tweeterland is interested in helping me promote this cause, please feel free to contact me. Some of you are already aware of my efforts to diversify our community, but it can't be done by just one or two of us. I have been able to find a few good folks here and several in Portland who are very enthusiastic about this topic; this interest leaves me hopeful.

The birds, the habitat, and the environment both affect and are impacted by all of us, regardless of color, etc.

Thanks for your interest!

happy birding,
isadora wong
seattle