[Tweeters] Marymoor Park (Redmond, King Co., WA) 2013-10-24

Michael Hobbs birdmarymoor at frontier.com
Thu Oct 24 15:53:28 PDT 2013

Tweets – the fog was like a spell cast over the land to dampen thought and activity. It made the birds quiet and scarce, and made us silly and stupid. We dawdled our way around the park, finding few birds and solving none of the problems facing society. Everyone laughed and was laughed at, yet the level of humor never rose above merely “humorous”, if that. (Okay, Matt did make one joke that was a hare on the funny side). By the end of the day, we were happy simply to have managed to bird the temperature: We had 54 species, while the high temperature topped out at 50 degrees.

Highlights:

Bufflehead Two females at lake (1 on Sunday was First of Fall)
Western Grebe More than a dozen on the lake, late
Sharp-shinned Hawk One over Snag Row
Cooper’s Hawk At least 2; a juvie spent the day in the Pea Patch
Mew Gull Several. First of fall
Barn Owl Brian had one early near windmill
Merlin One flew over Viewing Mound
W. Meadowlark Two at Viewing Mound late

There were a couple of RIVER OTTERS visible from the Lake Platform.

Misses today included Gadwall, Downy Woodpecker, Cedar Waxwing, White-crowned Sparrow, and Purple Finch.

As I said, 54 species today.

== Michael Hobbs
== www.marymoor.org/birding.htm
== BirdMarymoor at frontier.com