[Tweeters] Edmonds Roundup

Carol Riddell cariddellwa at gmail.com
Wed Oct 23 20:51:47 PDT 2013

After September's action--Long-billed Murrelet, Brown Booby, Brown Pelicans (several sightings on the Sound), and Northern Mockingbirds (two land sightings in the Edmonds Bowl)--October has been a bit quieter.

We have had continuing and occasional Parasitic Jaeger sightings and at least one Ancient Murrelet in the last couple of weeks. The first Common Goldeneye was reported last week. Black Scoters have been back on the Sound, north of the dive park, for about a month. There have been no Bufflehead sightings yet, that we are aware of.

Yesterday morning we had a lone Long-billed Dowitcher in Edmonds marsh. That has been the most interesting shorebird sighting since a Semi-palmated Plover hung around for five days in late September. Yesterday was just a ducky day. There were two Harlequin Ducks on the marina breakwater in the early afternoon. In the marsh vicinity, later in the afternoon, were the year's fourth sighting of a Northern Pintail (drake), first of year sighting of a Canvasback (code 5 for Edmonds), Hooded Mergansers, Northern Shovelers, American Wigeons, Green-winged Teals, Gadwalls, Mallards, and Ring-necked Ducks. The Northern Pintail and Canvasback were still around this morning. These two species are code 1 birds for Snohomish County. They are always nice to see but nothing to get excited about. The fun of birding a patch is that an otherwise common bird can achieve rarity status.

We are up to 174 species for the year.

Carol Riddell
Edmonds, Wa