[Tweeters] Yellow-headed Blackbird, Sequim/Dungeness.

bruce paige BBPaige at nikola.com
Sun Oct 20 15:31:29 PDT 2013

After reading of male and female Yellow-headed Blackbirds at the Delta Farm near Sequim (on Towne Rd.) via Denny Van Horn’s note yesterday, I headed out this morning for a look. The road is fairly busy and narrow with limited places to pull off, but there were about 2000 starling/blackbirds about and I found a spot to park and walked around. Large flocks were continually milling around between the Creamery, Farm pig lots, power lines, and pasturelands. The day was very overcast which made distinguishing colors difficult, but fortunately after only a few minutes a flock flushed from the pasture, and I could clearly see a male with a bright yellow head and white wing-patches. Having the pasture as a background rather than the sky helped! I then went back to the car for a camera and spent an hour and a half unsuccessfully trying to relocate the bird. You wouldn’t think something that showy could be so inconspicuous, but it was this day. Patience is definitely a virtue when birding!

Bruce Paige
Sequim, WA

spruceak at yahoo.com