[Tweeters] Juvenile CA Condor at Hopi Point, Grand Canyon

Hank Karen karenhank at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 17 19:58:10 PDT 2013

Yesterday Karen and I visited the Grand Canyon and had the good fortune of seeing a juvenile California Condor.  Our viewpoint was Hopi Point on the south rim of the Grand Canyon.

Photo of panoramic view from Hopi Point to put in context where the nest is located.  It is just below the line of sunshine and shade on the cliff wall.  Photo of cliff wall:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ljcouple/10338523386/

Photo of close-up view of the cave that is the nest for the condor.  The cave is not the dark spot on the left, but rather the entrance is to the right.  Karen and I saw the condor emerge from the cave and flap about as shown in the video.  The condor was really only visible by using our Canon SX50HS.  The people around us had no idea there was a condor present until we let them look at our camera.  In our binoculars the condor looked like a black dot.  Photo of cave:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ljcouple/10338607493/

Video of condor followed by a receding view of the nest location to put the nest location in the context of the Grand Canyon:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ljcouple/10338401195/

Hank Heiberg
Lake Joy
Carnation, WA