[Tweeters] Marymoor Park (Redmond, King Co., WA) 2013-10-17

Michael Hobbs birdmarymoor at frontier.com
Thu Oct 17 19:21:28 PDT 2013

Tweets – the overcast was impenetrable all morning, and the air felt dead. The birds were scarce; we got glimpses and distant sounds and few birds at a time. Things didn’t get more active until we got to the Viewing Mound and Compost Piles. But over the course of the whole morning, we ended up seeing quite a few good birds.

Highlights:

Green-winged Teal Lake and Rowing Club – First of Fall
Barn Owl One great long look, East Meadow, just before 7
Pileated Woodpecker Heard 3 times, finally saw from RC dock
Merlin Twice over Dog Meadow
Peregrine Falcon Adult at 7:30, grass fields, mansion area
NORTHERN SHRIKE First of fall – TWO at Viewing Mound area
Common Raven Two from lake platform
Varied Thrush VERY well marked male near windmill
American Pipit Six flew towards model airplane field
Common Yellowthroat One first-year male near west kiosk
Townsend’s Warbler 1-2 in cedars near windmill
Clay-colored Sparrow? Or Chipping? Glimpsed early at Compost Piles
Western Meadowlark Flew over Viewing Mound

We also had several flocks of unidentified ducks that probably included some American Wigeon.

We’ve only had three later sightings for COMMON YELLOWTHROAT: 18-Oct-12, 19-Oct-05, and 21-Oct-99.

At about 7:20, I got a look at a Spizella sparrow at the Compost Piles. I didn’t get a long look; just long enough to note the pale tones, small size, bold pale supercillium, and completely plain breast. We never were able to relocate the bird. Obviously, CHIPPING SPARROWs are more common in King County generally. But looking at both my Marymoor records, and at eBird records, Chippers appear to clear out by the end of September, making CLAY-COLORED actually more likely now. American Tree Sparrow would also be possible in late October, but there was no central breast spot.

Yesterday, I had a male NORTHERN HARRIER while mowing the East Meadow trail.

For the day, 61 species. I believe we’re at 151 species for the year at Marymoor.

== Michael Hobbs
== www.marymoor.org/birding.htm
== BirdMarymoor at frontier.com