[Tweeters] Kookaburra Found in Seattle!

jeff gibson gibsondesign at msn.com
Wed Oct 16 17:20:09 PDT 2013

After my post re: "Biogeography", I remembered that one can see a Kookaburra in Seattle.

Okay, okay, so it's, like, at the Woodland Park Zoo. I guess, according to the amusing and educational flowchart which Rachel Lawson recently forwarded to Tweeters, the ABA don't count zoo creatures as being legit on your life list. Well whatever. I guess if I want to tick off a Kookaburra, count coup (did you say coo?) on a Victoria Crown Pigeon, or honk (so to speak) a Hornbill at the zoo - well I count that as life experience!

I still remember, as a kid growing up in Seattle, going to the zoo and hearing the Laughing Kookaburra ( the big Australian I had in mind in my post). You too have heard this amazingly loud call, whether you've been to the zoo or not, because (as is noted in the Woodland Park Zoo blog, along with many other interesting factoids) unless you've been completely isolated from just about any Hollywood movie with a jungle scene, Tarzan etc., you would probably recognize this amazing call. Hollywood is no respector of biogeographical reality. Or maybe a bunch of other realities as well.

I moved out of Seattle ,mostly, in 1973, bound for college, and since then kinda feel like a tourist when I go to Seattle, unless I was working on a boat there. So I don't get to the zoo too much each decade, but it's still pretty cool - check out the Harris Hawk at the Raptor show if they still have that.

I do miss my favorite zoo thing - the Nocturnal House, where on one visit with my wife, I was anointed with my wife's nickname for me " Slow Loris". The Slow Loris is a primitive nocturnal primate famous for it's very deliberate movements.

As we sat in the dark, a Slow Loris came right up to us at the window, very slowly ; "Hey honey" my wife said, " look, it's you!". People have kidded me my whole life as being a bit slow, in speech, general movement etc. It wasn't till I saw the first video of myself, when I was about 30 yrs old that I realized " wow , they're right!". Of course I operate at just the right speed for myself, and consider others overly zippy sometimes, from my own perspective. So being a Slow Loris maybe isn't great for doing home chores, but can be a real bonus as a naturalist! What's the hurry?

Just saying

Jeff Gibson

Everett Wa.