[Tweeters] Red Knot at Alice Bay, Samish Flats

Wayne Weber contopus at telus.net
Wed Oct 16 13:34:48 PDT 2013

Birders,

I had less than 3 hours yesterday afternoon to bird the Samish Flats area in
Skagit County, but managed to find a couple of interesting things anyway.
Chief among these was a winter-plumage RED KNOT which was feeding on the
mudflats during a falling tide at Alice Bay, with a flock of about 60
BLACK-BELLIED PLOVERS and 30 LONG-BILLED DOWITCHERS. This was only about my
second or third sighting for Skagit County. I was a bit surprised to find
that this sighting was "flagged" as unusual in eBird, but I added a few
identification details. Red Knots are expected every fall in the Fraser
Delta area (mostly at Boundary Bay), in numbers of about 1 to 6 at a time,
but I guess they are scarcer farther south in the Puget Sound area.

The raptor numbers seem to be building up-- during this short visit to the
Samish Flats, I tallied 9 RED-TAILED HAWKS, 8 BALD EAGLES, 7 NORTHERN
HARRIERS, and a PEREGRINE FALCON (but no owls yet), plus my first
ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK of the fall. I also quickly glimpsed what might have been
an AMERICAN BITTERN at the West 90, but the glimpse was too brief for a
positive I.D.

Good luck and good birding,

Wayne C. Weber

Delta, BC