[Tweeters] Parasitic Jaeger Count off of Point no Point

Brad Waggoner wagtail at sounddsl.com
Mon Oct 14 15:50:38 PDT 2013

Hi Roger and all,

Since a good deal of thes jaegers were distant, I would beg to ask why
some of them were notactually Heermann's Gulls? They do a great
imitation of immature jaegers when they too attempt to steal baitfish
from other gulls. I have numerous times tried to make them into jaegers.
Now, If the 40 count came back as something like at least 75% adult
Parasitic Jaegers, then it would be very difficult to argue with such an
amazing count. I would also wonder if they were seen swirling around all
at one time and that the 40 count was reached at one point in time of
viewing. They do pick-up and move around quite a bit, so one really
can't just keep adding as though there are new bird showing. Note that
the previous high count for inland marine waters in Fall is22. I can
also say that count was probably Vic Nelson's at Point no Point. And
that it was his highest count in well over the 20 plus years that he
monitored and counted seabirds from his house just down from the
lighthouse. I should note also that Wednesday's counters only came up
with about 4 jaegers, with only one being an adult. The gull flocks were
all distant on that day too. I guess I am having a hard time with such a
massive presence of Parasitic Jaegers, especailly given the low numbers
of bonies reported mid-week last week. Bonies become the favorite target
of jaegers once Common Terns have scooted on through.

Cheersand good birding,

Brad Waggoner
Bainbridge Island, Washington
mailto:wagtail at sounddsl.com