[Tweeters] Swainson's Thrush

Mike & MerryLynn m.denny at charter.net
Sun Oct 13 18:50:28 PDT 2013

Hello all,
We thought last weekend was late for this bird but it is still at the same place - Port Kelley in the southwest corner of Walla Walla County. Where the Columbia river turns and goes west - this is the yacht club and there are lots of trees and shrubs, especially Russian Olives where 3 Varied, 4 Hermit and the 1 Swainson's Thrush were. Also a dozen Robins, several Spotted Towhees and 2 Fox Sparrows. Tried for pics but no luck - did get good looks and heard it call - easy to tell from the Hermits call.
Over 200 Greater White-fronted Geese at Casey pond along with 8 Great Egrets.
Blood pond on Dodd road had 24 Long-billed Dowitchers and 4 Dunlin.

Really frustrating to not be able to bird anywhere on Corps or NWR land as that is where we do most of our birding. They even closed Lyon's Ferry Park which they haven't run for many years. The only good thing is no hunting either.

In our yard this morning were 5 late Chipping Sparrows - we see very few in October.

Later, M&ML