[Tweeters] Eide Rd STSA - No, Duck Hunting Season, etc.

Josh Adams xjoshx at gmail.com
Fri Oct 11 14:04:23 PDT 2013

Hello Tweets,
I could write a long post, but the net effect would be the same as saying
"ditto" to Blair's post from yesterday. There were plenty of shorebirds at
high tide this morning, but none of them were Sharp-Tailed, unfortunately.
It was practically spring up in Stanwood this morning. Besides the standard
Marsh and Bewick's Wrens breaking out in song, I also heard Weastern
Meadowlarks, Song Sparrows, Golden-Crowned Sparrows, and White-Crowned
Sparrows singing all morning. American Pipits were quite abundant around
the ponds and actually visible in the open for once.

Anyone looking to visit this site, or any other WDFW site, this weekend
should be aware that goose and duck hunting seasons bother begin tomorrow
10/12 and all public hunting areas will probably be extremely full of
hunters.

I have to agree with the well written posts by Tyler Hicks and
retief at deweydrive.com (sorry I didn't see a name in the post). Many of my
favorite birding spots are WDFW lands set aside for hunting. While that can
make birding difficult at times, it also gives birders access to amazing
places 365 days a year that would almost certainly not exist if not for the
fact that they can serve multiple different stakeholders. More importantly
these lands provide vital habitat for wildlife. I would much rather share
them with hunters a few months out of the year then see them disappear
behind a fence or, worse yet, become just another sprawling apartment
complex.

Legue Island/Eide Road is a remarkable place for birds 365 days a year.
It's hosted at least 196 species including such ABA rarities as Red-Necked
Stint, Ruff, and Sharp-Tailed Sandpiper as well as dozens of species rare
to Western Washington and Snohomish County such as Bobolink and Sage
Thrasher. For the general public, who typically cannot get too excited
about some of these rarities, it provides one of the best spots to see
winter birds of prey. It's great place and I would encourage anyone who can
attend the meeting on the 30th in support of keeping it as preserved
and accessible as possible to do so.

Josh Adams
Lynnwood, WA