[Tweeters] Reply the post from Tyler Hicks of Oct 8

marlin greene marlin at oneearthimages.com
Thu Oct 10 19:35:46 PDT 2013

I want to briefly answer the post from Tyler Hicks of Oct 8.

The purpose of my website, FriendsofEideRoad.org, is not to advocate for multi-use public land management, but to advocate first of all for the birds, and secondly for non-violent visitors. I have the outlandish idea that it might be appropriate to repurpose the site to no-hunting status, dedicating it to the birds, birders and photographers. I want to abolish the accepted myth that hunters and non-violent visitors are both after the same thing - they are not. Hunters kill birds, birders and photographers admire them.

Eide Road is especially worthy of consideration for these reasons:

1. The present situation is dangerous because there are no designated areas to separate the activities of hunters and non-hunters.
2. This area is relatively small -- shrubs and grass can conceal visitors -- hunters from photographers and vis versa; I've seen this happen.
3. This is a unique area that attracts shorebirds, short-eared owls, northern harriers and even snowy owls in winter.
4. Hunting disrupts and disturbs all these birds. They scatter when a shotgun goes off.

Question: Is it unreasonable that the growing number of birders and photographers in Washington should have a small piece of public land set aside for their use without guns disrupting the birds they come to see? It will never happen unless someone initiates the proposal. FriendsofEideRoad.org is how we initiate the proposal. It is filled with strong language because I am trying to be controversial. If I was satisfied with the situation as it now exists there would be no need for the website, would there?

How many people agree with this proposal remains to be seen. I've already learned that Audubon is indifferent, hunters are or course against it, most photographer don't even bother to answer my emails. I have not been able to even find out how to approach WDFW to about having the site repurposed -- they don't want another issue to deal with it seems. I had to start this conversation and build the website because nobody else was willing to do. It at least needs to be discussed because it is the right thing to do. How do I know? A little bird told me.

Marlin Greene