[Tweeters] Banded DC Cormorant (RFI) and racing pigeon

Chazz Hesselein chazz at hesselein.com
Thu Oct 10 14:20:30 PDT 2013

While looking for the Little Gull at Norwegian Point on Monday (which I
found) I spotted and took photos of a Double-crested Cormorant with a
transmitter antenna and band. Not sure how hard I should try to contact
the bander since the bird had a transmitter but if anyone knows who I
can contact regarding the sighting, please respond.

A couple of days ago I noticed a band on one of the Rock Pigeons in my
yard. Noting the band codes and going to the American Racing Pigeon
website I was able to find the owner of the bird, a pigeon racer from
Utah! Unfortunately for him the bird isn't hurt so I can't get it back
to him. After I contacted him by e-mail, he called me to ask about the
bird and told me he'd won $15,000 with the bird that's visiting my
yard's "brother." Who knew there was that kind of prize money for
racing pigeons?

Good birding all!

Chazz Hesselein
Port Orchard, WA