[Tweeters] Fun with Grebes

Keith Carlson kec201814 at cableone.net
Thu Oct 10 14:02:08 PDT 2013

Terry Gray's Clark's Grebe at Spring Valley yesterday reminded me that we did not have one on this year's Asotin County list, so off I went to find one among the many Western Grebes on the Snake River.

I should know better by now- Winter Grebes are almost impossible.
Two photos of the same bird:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/birddog/10195220734/in/photostream/
Photo taken on a bright, clear day with the sun behind me at 12 o'clock.
Calling the bill color does not work for me here.
The gray back and much of the eye in the white tends toward Clark's

a second photo of the same bird, same lighting conditions
http://www.flickr.com/photos/birddog/10195220754/in/photostream/
In this photo, the wide black stripe down the back of the neck indicates Western.

On a happier, easier note, I found this Red-necked Grebe (juvenile) nearby.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/birddog/10195220714/in/photostream/

Keith E. Carlson
Lewiston