[Tweeters] RE: Subject: First V. Thrush (and James Bond to boot!) / Caryn / Wedgwood

Gary Bletsch garybletsch at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 9 07:25:46 PDT 2013

Dear Scott, Caryn, and Tweeters,

Thanks for bringing up this curious James Bond-birding connexion.

As I recall from a biography of Ian Fleming, the author once said years later that he chose the name for his spy character because he wanted it to sound dull and uninteresting. A birder himself, Fleming lived in Jamaica, and had a copy of James Bond's Caribbean field guide lying about when he began writing the series. A glance at the cover was all it took.

The ornithologist is said to have given the author a bit of rueful chastisement after having his "dull-sounding" name turned into a household one. This was depicted in a made-for-television movie about the life of Ian Fleming. Bond comes walking out of the bushes, binoculars and all, into the garden of Fleming's Jamaican home, to wag a finger at Fleming. That home, by the way, was named "Goldeneye," but not, apparently, in any connexion to the diving duck of that name.

Yours truly,

Gary Bletsch

Near Lyman, Washington (Skagit County), USA

garybletsch at yahoo.com

"Nun," sagte ich, "wenn ich ein Taugenichts bin, so ist's gut, so will ich in die Welt gehen, und mein Glueck machen." Und eigentlich war mir das recht lieb, denn es war mir kurz vorher selber eingefallen, auf Reisen zu gehen, da ich die Goldammer, welche im Herbst und Winter immer betruebt an unserm Fenster sang: "Bauer, miet' mich, Bauer, miet' mich!" nun in der schoenen Fruehlingszeit wieder ganz stolz und lustig vom Baume rufen hoerte: "Bauer, behalt' deinen Dienst!"