[Tweeters] OT: Elk sparring near Carnation

Hank Karen karenhank at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 7 22:14:54 PDT 2013

Today Karen and I went to view salmon spawning in the Tolt River.  We then decided to drive our Snoqualmie Valley birding loop and encountered a herd of 18 elk (11 bulls) in a pasture of what used to be Carnation Farms.  To get to the place where we viewed this herd,  turn from highway 203 onto Carnation Farms Road north of Carnation.  Proceed across the Snoqualmie River, past Chinook Bend Natural Area to the top of the small hill.  There is ample parking on the right from which there is a good view of the field in which the elk were grazing.  I believe they were Roosevelt Elk, but am not positive.  We saw the elk about 6 p.m.

Video of elk sparring:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ljcouple/10150159723/

Photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ljcouple/10149695674/