[Tweeters] September 2013 turkey vulture report

Diann MacRae tvulture at gmx.com
Mon Oct 7 17:03:18 PDT 2013

Hi, Tweets
The October report which will be my last will have lots more vultures. They seem to be just a tad late this year. There have always been migrating vultures in October, but the majority usually came during the last weekend in September. Following is the turkey vulture report for September 2013 for Washington and Oregon:
01 – 15 at Wood River Wetlands/Hanks Marsh in Klamath County, Oregon
08 – 4 at Windy Gap; 9 riding a ridge in Camas; 8 at the Bonney Butte Hawkwatch Station, Oregon
09 – 4 circled just south of Ellensburg
10 – 5 very high sailing over Bellevue/Eastgate
11 – 10 over Eugene, Oregon
12 – 1 at Green Ridge Raptor Migration Count, Oregon
13 – 70 at Green Ridge
14 – 1 at Slate Peak; 1 soaring south over downtown Portland, Oregon; 35 at Green Ridge
15 – 1 at Ridgefield NWR
17 – 6 circling a field near Satsop; 4 circling over Elma; 4 circling east Aberdeen; 1 near the Roslyn exit
18 – 4 birds over Roslyn; 1 over Suncadia resort; 9 in a snag at the corner of Hwy203/Carnation Farm Road
19 – ca. 50 on a high-power transmission structure near I-5 north of Brooks, Oregon; 1 over I-90 at MP78
20 – 5 just west of Ocean Shores
22 – 4 over bluffs above the Grays Harbor NWR; 10 in a field on Sauvie Island, Oregon; 22 at Green Ridge
25 – 15 at Fern Ridge, Oregon; 4 circling just outside of Snoqualmie
26 – 60 over Multnomah Village, Oregon; 200+ near Upper Klamath Lake, Oregon
27 – 36 over Skinner Butte near Eugene; 171 at Green Ridge; 7 heading south in a fierce wind/gale outside of Ocean Shores
30 – 2 trying to migrate south against heavy gusts and showers between Hoquiam/Ocean Shores; 9 at the north end of Everett; single birds in several locations in Stanwood
Many thanks for the great reports. Keep looking up this month!
Cheers, Diann

Diann MacRae
Olympic Vulture Study
22622 - 53rd Avenue S.E.