[Tweeters] Little Gull @ Point No Point [Kitsap Co]

Matt Bartels mattxyz at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 6 13:05:25 PDT 2013

Hi Tweets-
This morning, once the fog lifted, I was enjoying the Parasitic Jaeger show at Point-No-Point when I came across a Little Gull amid the big Bonaparte's flock.

The Little Gull was an immature, with a black cap, broad black bar across the secondary coverts and black primaries. The broad black patterning on the upper-wing and the cap helped to really make it stand out in the flock. It was smaller and stockier than the Bonaparte's around it, but this wasn't noticeable enough in the huge flock to use as a mark to re-locate it.

I first noticed it around 10:00 and was able to periodically relocate it and enjoy great looks in flight and resting on the water until 11:30 when I departed.

It has been a while since we've had a Little Gull in the state, so hopefully this guy will stick around or invite some friends in for the season.

Matt Bartels
Seattle, WA