[Tweeters] Yellow Lake Klahanie

Hank Karen karenhank at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 5 08:25:45 PDT 2013

I don't recall reading about Yellow Lake in Klahanie on Tweeters.  Klahanie is a development above Issaquah on the Sammamish Plateau.  If you want to take a scenic 1.25 mile Fall walk that has decent birding, then consider the trail around Yellow Lake.  There is a dock from which you can view waterfowl on the lake.  A scope is helpful, but not necessary.  If you bring a scope I would recommend using it from the dock and then taking it back to your car before walking around the lake.  The trail around the lake goes through forested areas and a couple of wetlands.  Also, you will get a view of a beaver lodge.  There is plenty of on-street parking near the trailhead.  I recommend parking on SE Klahanie Blvd. just "north" of 244th Place SE.  The lake and trail head will be east of Klahanie Blvd.  Here is a link to a map.

http://www.klahanie.com/sub_category_list.asp?category=6&title=Map

When you enter the trail, take the right fork (i.e. walk counter clockwise around the lake) if you wish to visit the dock first.  It will be close to your starting point.

Other opportunities nearby are Beaver Lake Preserve

http://www.sammamishwalks.org/beaver-lake-preserve/

Beaver Lake Park

http://www.ci.sammamish.wa.us/projects/BeaverLakePark.aspx

Evans Creek Preserve