[Tweeters] First Varied Thrushof the season Seahurst Park forest

Maureen E. Ellis mj2ephd at uw.edu
Thu Oct 3 18:07:00 PDT 2013

Folks,
Spotted a gorgeous male Varied Thrush in the trees near my deck this
morning. It is quite early to see them here-Seahurst forest area.
Normally, they don't arrive around our condo community until the first
couple of weeks in November. I have had Varied Thrushes on my deck picking
up specks of suet in past years. Hoards of two species of chickadees
(Black-capped & Chestnut-backed) at the seed including a couple with
interesting part-albinism in their feathers. I also have a Dark-eyed
Junco, Oregon morph, with an all-white tail.

Puget Sound Seabird Survey starts this Saturday. A neighbor birding
colleague and I are assigned two sites this season: fishing pier at Des
Moines Marina and the 3-Tree Point viewing platform. Have done Seahurst
Park beach also since the survey project started in the fall of 2007, but,
it is closed for beach restoration until April, 2014. Check out the
Seattle Audubon Society website to get a lot more information about this
important citizen-science bird survey being done from numerous sites on the
Puget Sound.

And so it goes,
Maureen E Ellis
north Burien near Seahurst forest