[Tweeters] Rufous Again

David Hutchinson flora.fauna at live.com
Thu Oct 3 12:30:44 PDT 2013

Have been asked questions about both over-wintering RUFU and occurrence on local CBCs. It is not easy to establish these data sets. But I do not know of any over-wintering records for our area. Am sure that there are at least a few records for them on CBCs in OR, WA and BC., in recent decades.

However, in the quest for this information, I did find that Rufous over-winter in numbers in the New Orleans area (at feeders?) which does not surprise me.There was a winter record for one on Staten Island. Most interestingly, since 2005, in NE Tennessee, there are 69 winter records for Rufous Hummingbirds. These must be at feeders.

Subject to better data and analysis, Rufous Hummingbirds surely are obligatory Neotropical migrants and, as they say in Scotland, the exceptions prove(i.e.test) the rule.

--
David Hutchinson,
Flora & Fauna: Nature Books