[Tweeters] links to videos from a summer visit to the Russian Far East

Barbara Deihl barbdeihl at comcast.net
Thu Oct 3 12:28:30 PDT 2013

Hi Tweets,

Here are some links to some fun and informative videos created by Ray Hamlyn, from some of the footage and stills he and his wife, Dory, got this past August on a tour/expedition, they participated in. They are glad to share these with you through my posting of the links. Something to get you in the mood for Mon. evening's WOS meeting presentation on the Pribolov Island research :-)

The first video about the release of some storm petrels is fascinating, informative and heart-warming, even though it does make one aware of another potentially negative effect that we humans can have on a bird species. Luckily, negative turns hopeful and positive as the wayward petrels are released to continue on their way.

The other videos, are about mammals and are also quite interesting, both visually and educationally. The last one, about reindeer herding and hunting by some indigenous people, does have aspects that some may find objectionable, but it is pretty amazing...

The links:

Release of the Storm Petrels http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBXvEUp9n5E

Walrus Encounter http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVNB0wxfkNs

Bears of the Russian Far East http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvI1ka5cyaQ

Fur Seals in the Mist - Lovushki Is. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwAEvDBPP_U

Koryak - the Reindeer People http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F9HP0t8s-0

Thanks to Ray and Dory for these excellent videos.

Barb Deihl

North Matthews Beach - NE Seattle

barbdeihl at comcast.net