[Tweeters] Yellow-shafted flicker

viper.bob at frontier.com viper.bob at frontier.com
Wed Oct 2 21:05:21 PDT 2013

Hi everyone,
For the last 3 days I have had a male yellow-shafted flicker coming to my feeder - well, almost a yellow-shafted. It has all of the features of a pure yellow-shafted except for the malar patch ("mustache") which is half black and half red (should be all black). I first noticed the red patch on the back of the head which really stood out from the numerous other flickers that come to my feeder. Unlike my regulars it is quite spooky and timid. The other flickers, including the young females, chase it from the feeder. It also acts like it is much more alert to possible predators (Coopers hawks which are regulars to my yard). I managed to get some decent photos of this bird shooting from the window of my house. You can see them in the "recently added images" gallery of my website: www.rlkimages.photoshelter.com
Bob Kothenbeutel
Woodinville, WA

viper.bob at frontier.com