[Tweeters] Belted Kingfisher eating a fish at Lake Joy

Hank Karen karenhank at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 2 08:39:05 PDT 2013

This summer I erected a post at our shore hoping to attract a Belted Kingfisher.  This morning we had a male on the post and a female on the handrail of a neighbor's nearby raft.  This video of the male eating a fish that it caught in our beach was taken through our living room window at a distance of about 250 feet on a rainy day so it is less than sharp, but still interesting.  To me the fish looks like a trout.  Lake Joy is not stocked with fish, but I have been told that it has native cutthroat trout and Kokanee as well as various bottom feeders.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ljcouple/10055382576/

Hank Heiberg
Lake Joy
Carnation, WA