[Tweeters] Edmonds Roundup

Carol Riddell cariddellwa at gmail.com
Fri Nov 22 11:50:13 PST 2013

Rick Taylor reported on eBird one Eared Grebe (Edmonds code 4) from the public pier on November 3rd among other expected sightings. We have had no other year birds until November 13th when we saw a first-of-year flock of about 15 Lesser Scaups (code 3) flying south through Edmonds waters. They were first of 2013. That morning also brought three actively feeding Steller's sea lions to the waterfront. One Steller's is a treat. Three made the day. Perhaps the best sighting that morning was a Eurasian Wigeon hen in the marsh environs. There was a EUWI drake the week before as well as two different hybrid wigeons in late October and early November.

We have seen Brant geese by scope a couple of times in the last week, most recently on November 14th. On that morning we spotted a large flock of Dunlin winging its way south past the public pier. Harlequin Ducks continue to fly in to the marina's south breakwater with unusual regularity. At least five Black Scoters can usually be seen by scope north of the underwater park from Sunset Avenue.

A flock of Snow Geese ( code 3) passed over town, heading south, on November 18th.

At least five birders have confirmed a Palm Warbler (code 5), which lingered between November 14 - 20, and may still be around. This is the third western Palm Warbler for Edmonds in the last ten years. A first-of-year Ruddy Duck (code 3) showed up at the Edmonds marsh on November 21st where a drake Ring-necked Duck (code 3) continues. The Ruddy was seen for a second day. A Brewer's Blackbird (code 3) was at the Senior Center on Railroad Avenue that same day. A curiosity that same afternoon was a completely black-plumaged Steller's Jay near the Willow Creek Hatchery.

Two Common Ravens (code 3) were seen near the Willow Creek Hatchery on November 9th. There was a first-of-fall female Varied Thrush near the Hatchery on November 14th. Sparrow numbers in the Edmonds Bowl continue to be very low. A Lincoln's Sparrow on November 21st was a treat.

We are at 184 species for the year.

Carol Riddell
Edmonds, Wa