[Tweeters] Marymoor Park (Redmond, King Co., WA) 2013-11-21

Michael Hobbs birdmarymoor at frontier.com
Thu Nov 21 15:26:40 PST 2013

Okay – 23 degrees is cold and frosty, and even by 11:00, it had only gotten up to 36, with frost still on the ground in every patch of shade. But it was windless and sunny and gorgeous. It wasn’t tremendously birdy, however, and some of what we did see was birds flying over the park, possibly looking for a less frozen spot. Apparently one such spot was the Rowing Club; we picked up six additional species there, including five species of duck.

Highlights:

Northern Shoveler Five at Rowing Club pond
Green-winged Teal One drake at RC pond
Common Goldeneye 4-6, including flybys
Common Merganser 3 in NE corner of lake, late
Horned Grebe 3 on lake, late
Shooper’s / Carpies Two difficult-to-ID accips, possibly both Sharpies
Virginia Rail Matt heard one from boardwalk early
Short-eared Owl??? Ollie had a dark, not-a-Barn-Owl early, from the Viewing Mound
Hairy Woodpecker Pair near Dog Central
Pileated Woodpecker Presumed pair glimpsed twice
Northern Shrike East Meadow, adult
Brown Creeper One near Dog Central
Varied Thrush One with American Robins, Dog Central
Y.-rumped Warbler 1-2 glimpsed, barely heard

No notable misses for the day, except that we could only identify gulls down to “Glaucous-winged” and “black wing-tipped”, since we only had early morning and/or distant flyby views.

For the day, 57 species.

== Michael Hobbs
== www.marymoor.org/birding.htm
== BirdMarymoor at frontier.com